Thursday, April 16, 2015

A River Runs Through It

I was contemplating what to write about this week. Honestly, it's been pretty boring over here on Smoke Rise. House stuff has been relatively minimal, or it's gotten a late start, with little completion in the few hours that someone's been here. Well, if it's excitement I was looking for then things certainly picked up yesterday. I went to wash dishes, in our downstairs utility sink, which is directly under the upstairs sink/fridge area. And what do I spy with my little eye?



That line. It's never been there before...and it's wet. I look up, and on top of the cabinets, behind a row of bowls, it's worse.



If ever there was a day for this to not happen, this was it. After 3 hours of sleep, and discovering this at 4:30pm when I have to leave to work an extra 12 hour shift (that I completely regret picking up) at 6pm, my anxiety spikes. I send the above pictures (minus the "fit gif") to Mike and tell him to call me as we have a problem. He calls back seconds later, as I'm measuring from the far outside wall to see where the water might be coming from. Is it the dishwasher? Mike and his plumber discovered the pump has a problem, and it's not something that they'd be considered responsible for, so I've called to line up someone to look at it through the home warranty folks.

24 feet from the outside wall. Upstairs I go, and at 24 feet from the outside wall it's the fridge. Something behind the fridge! Another water problem? Sheesh! I alert the floor sanders. Supposedly they were going to start staining tonight, but they'll have to wait now. Not that they seem to be in any big hurry. One of them, who is on what must be his 14th cigarette break since noon hollers from the back porch, "that your pet deer?" I'm sorry, "what??" He points out a doe that's resting in the foliage between our back yard and the neighbor's. She has a friend with her. This is the best picture I can get:


See her peeking between the slats? Well, I'm glad someone is enjoying their day.

The water is cut off at the street, I brush my teeth with water from our Brita water pitcher, but no shower, then I head in to work. Ryan sets up some fans to run overnight to speed up the drying process, so work can continue. One behind the fridge, and the other downstairs.


I get home Thursday morning and the pieces of wood behind the fridge are capout. The wall isn't in very good shape either. 


That water did a number on those boards; water stains and warping. At the beginning, in the planning process, Mike mentioned that wood in a kitchen was a bad idea. He didn't recommend it, but it was up to us. "It's not 'if' there's a water issue, it's 'when'," he said. Point made, Mike. I didn't think anything would happen this soon but we're committed now, just keep rolling with what we've got!! Mike says they'll be by during the day on Thursday to replace those boards, then the sand/stain guys will be back to do their thing Thursday evening. Well, it's 8pm on Thursday, and while the boards got replaced, the sand/stain guys are a no-show. Maybe tomorrow? This flooring process is taking


I'm working for the weekend...again. Maybe we'll get things completed next week! Keep your fingers crossed for us. Well, mainly for Ryan. He'll be tolerating a maniacal wife if this doesn't get wrapped up soon.

And as I'm sure you only read this post because of the title and were expecting Brad Pitt, here ya go:


"Catch me on that line you sexy man-beast, put me in your little wicker basket, and carry me up river!"-said every woman ever





No comments:

Post a Comment