Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Floors!

Monday morning I get home from work and Mike has met the flooring guys at the house. They commence with laying out pieces and they start hammering, nailing, knocking, and making all other variety of noises. Ahhhh....sounds like progress!


I go bunker down on the couch to watch T.V. and otherwise embrace the stupor that overtakes me when I get off of three shifts in a row.


I'm in the middle of a perfectly mundane episode of House Hunters when lights, T.V., and the sawing overhead abruptly turns off. Oh hell, pull your hair back up Sam, they're going to have to come down and turn whatever breaker got flipped back on. I wait...and wait...and no one comes down. I muster up a few ounces of energy and climb up the stairs. The guys are outside on a smoke break, and we chat on whether it's just us or the whole neighborhood. We hear sirens off in the distance. Maybe someone hit a pole? Our friendly neighbor, Carolyn, starts walking up and asking if our power is out too. Well, that takes care of that; the whole neighborhood is out. I invite her in to see the progress and she's all kindness. We chat about kitchens, gardening, and delivering babies. I'm and L&D nurse and she's had 8 kids. This could go on for a while, but it doesn't because she has to get back to her brood. I go back downstairs to take advantage of the relative quiet. 

After obviously slipping off with Mr. Sandman, I wake up an hour later to air compressors and nail guns going off. Power's back on! Come to find out it was some sort of outage at the power station. After much hustle and bustle, they've got the living room finished:



And they've started in on the other areas:




Mike says Monday and Tuesday for getting the floors down. They have to sit for a day or two in their new location, and then they sand them down. He projects the sanding to be on Friday and next Monday, with staining and the polyurethane to go down over the following Tuesday and Wednesday. We're so close!!

No comments:

Post a Comment