Thursday, March 12, 2015

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things..."




Namely, just how long the drywall process takes. So the drywall guys show up Tuesday, get sheets of drywall in place and put the paste on there.  *24 hours later* Do a little scraping and sanding, and repeat paste application. *Another 24 hours later* Come and put some blue goo on top of the two layers of white goo, and now let that dry. It's now Thursday, and I'm wondering if a second layer of blue paste is in store for tomorrow.




What that picture can't tell you is the how strong the fumes are coming off that stuff. I just pop up to take a picture or walk through to the bedroom and my eyes start burning. Like, instead of a cucumber eye mask, put cut onions on your face burning. I have not once seen any of the guys working on this wearing masks or glasses. Maybe they build up immunity to it, like the folks that work in nail salons?



In an effort to avoid the toxic fumes, I did some running around today.

-Gas tank filled, check!

-Explore glass options, check! (Though "explore" is a bit of an exaggeration...I went to ONE store and asked them for one particular type of glass that I know I want-"seedy.")

-Got oil changed (for the first time in a number of months I'm embarrassed to share), check!

When I get back home, there's no one working. But "The Girls" greet me at the door. One of them scratches her ear, then the other one scratches her ear. *Commence with application of  flea/tick prevention liquid*


After feeling quite sure that the cats are tucked away, hiding and hating me, I call the Home Depot parts department to check on that dishwasher door again. A very kind Karen informs me that it was delivered today. I go to the front door, and sure enough, there it is. Thanks Karen. I am either incapable of checking on things before calling, or I had very little faith that it would be up there in the first place. (Or maybe it's both?) Either way, it's here!



Why, oh why, does it have a scuff on it??? There, underneath the handle groove. (It's hard to see in this picture.) Yes, the bag it was wrapped in left a pattern, but that should come off when I clean it. That scuff that looks like someone grazed it with a Brillo pad; that won't come off with Windex. Meh. Not worth it to replace it.

Here's the old dishwasher:

Here's Ryan working on getting the new panel on:

And voila! Now we have a stainless steel dishwasher!



And just a little FYI, in particular why I choose not to take on the battle to replace the scuffed panel: 
1. We don't even use dishwashers that much. This thing just needs to sit in it's place and be stainless, and wait for us to use it. 
2. This door panel was just over $100. New stainless steel dishwashers START around $500, but getting one that has good reviews on Consumer Reports is going to put you out $800 easy. After reading #1 above, you do the math. 
3. If progress goes well, I'd like to think we're getting appliances into place next week, and seeing as how the delivery schedule of the first panel was way off, I can only imagine it would be the first of May before a replacement would show up. Again, not worth it.


Just going to bring it full circle and leave you with:

"Of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax. Of cabbages and kings." -Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (The innuendo here is that sometimes there is chaos in the normal. Just enjoy the ride.)

No comments:

Post a Comment