Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Mid-week boxes get checked

Tuesday

This morning I wake to the sweet sounds of tile being mechanically chiseled off our foyer's subfloor. Ryan and I had originally said just to keep the tile that was there, but during demo and reconstruction a few of the edge pieces were chipped.  After talking with Mike about how to replace the tile (we did have 5 extra loose tiles on hand), and then how to incorporate it with the new hardwoods, we decided to just let it go and do hardwoods everywhere. You see when the edges of mismatched floors meet up


you end up needing to do some sort of transition piece.


These are common. Plenty of houses have them. We actually had several in our last house, and I despised them. Dirt and hair gets caught under that edge. It creates a bump in the texture of the floor, and even putting a rug over it would give you a lumpy rug. I'm really glad that Mike brought up the idea of getting rid of the tile; I think we're going to be a lot happier with a nice, seamless floor.

To avoid the onslaught of new dust I:

-Picked up a few birthday presents at Barnes and Noble for my favorite almost-two-year-old.

-Grabbed lunch with Ryan.

-Went to La-z-boy/Kincaid to look at furniture and fabrics to get ideas of what we might be able to incorporate into the revamped space. "Miranda" was really trying to be helpful, but when I say I'm just looking, I mean it. "But you'll get an extra 20% off if you buy today." I respond with, "I'm not buying today, I'm just looking. I just want to see your fabrics and swivel chairs." She scampers off to look up a fabric I said I liked okay, and when she gets back she's trying to sell me a glider. I didn't say glider, I said swivel; but I don't have the heart to repeat myself for fear of losing my cool. I see other salespeople descending like vultures upon helpless chair-seekers. I kindly take her card, and vacate quickly.


-Bebopped around Target, buying a few inconsequential and unrelated-to-the-house things.

And after hearing that the glass for the cabinet doors won't be ready until later or tomorrow, I head back to the house. I get to see Mike and he's got our backsplash! It looks wonderful. He says the guys will be here Wednesday to put that in. I ask him several questions, hand over our next installment, and we both go about our merry business. I enjoy an afternoon of open windows and watching The Girls try to go hunting through screens. Ryan and I measure the sideboard base cabinets so we can get the butcher block top ready, label the cabinets with which knobs and pulls go where, use one of the ovens for the first time (just out-of-the-box scalloped potatoes), and then I check out pinterest for bifold door ideas.



Wednesday

This morning gets off to a more quiet start. There's a pressure washer running, but it's outside. And the tile guys aren't blaring the local country station. But there's a lot of work happening! The front of the house is looking a lot cleaner having all that old sawdust and drywall crumbs washed away, and the tile guys are well under way getting the backsplash laid out. I've got a few items to cover on the to-do list so I leave them to it.

-I picked up the glass from Huntsville Glass, and it looks great! I quickly run that back to the house as I do not want to ride around with these. My luck I'd get rear-ended.

-I grab lunch with a good buddy, Kim, at Viet Huong. They have amazing pho, and despite the fact that it's 70 degrees, I want steaming hot Vietnamese veggie soup.

-I proceed with hitting up Costco (gas and butter), Home Depot (paint roller and brushes), and Staples (wall calendar)...all while listening to Punjabi Hits on Pandora. Upbeat Indian music with a belly full of pho and the sunroof open is definitely a trifecta of happy. I highly recommend it. This was my favorite song today:


When I'm back home, it's nice and quiet. Everyone's finished up for the day, and I'm happy with how the backsplash turned out. The pictures are from my phone, and certainly don't do it justice. It matches up with a lot of the grey in the counter, and has a bit of a waving motion that reflects the movement in the counters.



Before Ryan has band practice tonight, he gets together with Danny up at the studio. Danny helps us cut the butcher block down then route it. 





There ended up being a one foot piece that was removed, so I'll be able to utilize that in sampling the different stains so we know which one to end up using. Ryan does the band thing, and I head back home. I'm watching "The Greatest Game Ever Played" when Ryan gets home, and a quiet evening at home after a day full of goals met is perfectly satisfying.


No comments:

Post a Comment