Monday, February 23, 2015

Oh Monday...

If I didn't know better I would've guessed today was a Monday. I got off work this morning and after working 3 12hour night shifts in a row, you don't know what day it is really. But having icy road conditions AGAIN this morning, and finding out that the electricians wouldn't be showing up until later as a result of the weather, and being worried sick about a postpartum coworker who is having complications...all signs point to Monday.

After getting positive updates on our coworker around 10:00, and hearing the electricians show up, I finally try and cocoon myself up under my electric blanket, and with both kitties holding my legs down I drift off to sleep. I wake up around 12:30 covered in sweat and hearing a lot of banging upstairs; good, the electricians are still moving along. *Removes one cat from legs, turns down electric blanket, changes background noise channel from HGTV to Food Network, and drifts back off.* At 3:30 I come back to the 
land-of-the-barely-living thoroughly confused and not knowing where I am. You see, when you work night shift, it's two different days when you're awake and the day you wake up in is the same as the one you went to sleep in, unless you get lucky and crash for an 18 hour coma. So, after scrambling for my phone: 


and realizing it's still Monday and knowing our coworker is still holding steady, I sit on the couch and try to acclimate my brain for functioning. 

Ryan calls and tells me he's going to finish working on the built-in bench seat with our family friend Danny Davis. They started working on it yesterday, and after today's finishing touches, we've got EXACTLY what I envisioned for that space. Here's some pictures of that:





Yeah!!! We'll get it all sanded down and the painters will paint the bench when they're getting the rest of the rooms. I found a couple websites that do bench seat cushions, so a couple of those on top will make it more comfortable for sitting on but it's also functional. It has two hinged doors on top for storage underneath. Considering we love our Costco, this bench will store all the paper towel and dixie cup type goodies we bring home from our bulk-item buys. Ryan has gotten very handy with his woodworking, but with Danny's experienced help and myriad of tools, we've got a beautiful and sturdy bench. 

If you like this, imagine what Danny can do when he makes guitars! That's right: retired NASA engineer, bench maker, and luthier! Here's his website:     http://www.tangledstringstudio.com

The space where he makes his instruments is at Lowe Mill in Huntsville, and this studio also serves as a recording space for Ryan's band (Liquid Caravan) and a listening room for singer/songwriters and bands that come through town. If you live here or are able to get to Huntsville, swing by Lowe Mill and check out all the artists that this wonderful place houses.

We finish off our Monday with Which Wich and Yogurt Mountain.


Goals for tomorrow: go grocery shopping so we don't have to eat out all week, go by Bob Wallace appliance for price comparisons on cooktops and ovens, and try to paint a chandelier if the weather allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment